American Curl cats, which have a history of only 20 years, take their name from their curved ears. Their biggest physical difference from other cats is these characteristic ears, which seem to be curved inwards. As it is known, the hearing abilities of cats are very developed, but the American Curl cats, which have a physically different ear structure among cat breeds , are ahead of other cats in terms of hearing power. These cats, which can hear even the smallest sounds, also attract attention with their beautiful soft fur. Thanks to their sharp intelligence, they can learn very quickly and be trained very easily. These sweet cats, who love to be held and loved, are also very playful and active animals.
American Curl Cat General Characteristics
- They were discovered in the United States.
- Their ears have a curved structure that is not seen in other cat breeds.
- Their muscles are not very strong. They need to exercise frequently to strengthen their muscles.
- They are medium sized cats. Their weight can reach up to 5 kilograms.
- They can be short or long haired. But they usually have long hair. They have a bright and dense feather structure.
- Feather color can be any color. They have predominantly dark colors.
- They reach adulthood late. The incubation period ranges from 2 to 3 years.
- They are active cats.
- They like to play games.
- They are quiet cats, they do not meow much.
- They are very intelligent cats, they learn quickly. They are easy to train.
- They are curious and careful animals.
- Their sense of hearing is very strong compared to other cat breeds.
- They love to have physical contact with their owners.
- They are creatures of empathy. They are sensitive to human emotions.
- They communicate very well with people. They are patient and gentle with other pets and children.
- They are very attached to their owners.
- Their health is generally good.
- They have an average life expectancy of 12-13 years.
American Curl Cat Care
American Curl cats, which are very open to training and learning, need plenty of exercise because they do not have very strong muscles. Fortunately, thanks to their mobile nature, they love to play and move around. They can even start a fun game by learning complex games and bringing back the items you throw to catch them like a dog.
Although it is very pleasant to spend time with him, he is a creature that loves attention and his eyes are always on his owner. It never gives up on its owner and waits for you to love it as soon as you sit on your lap. It will be difficult for you and for him to leave this beautiful cat, who expects so much attention and love, alone at home. It is not recommended to adopt an American Curl cat if you will not be able to spend enough time with it.
American Curl cats are sensitive and empathetic creatures as much as they expect love. They will understand your mood, as they will not leave the care and love you show him unrequited.
Since they are jumping experts, they can easily open the doors of the house by combining these skills with their intelligence. Therefore, if you have an American Curl cat at home, you must keep your outer door locked.
Ear infections can occur in American Curl cats without any known health problems. Therefore, care should be taken to clean the ears. In eye, teeth and nail care, they do not need any special treatment, unlike other cat species. In American Curl cat breeds with long and short hair, hair care should be carried out by combing once a week for short haired and at least twice a week for long haired cats.
They can live with you for 15 years or even more when properly cared for and fed and given enough attention.