The Donskoy cat breed is a new breed of cat discovered in Donskoy, Russia in the 1980s. These cats, which fall into the class of hairless cats such as Devon Rex and Sphinx cats, are also known as Hairless Russian Cats. It is a rare breed of cat in the world. Another characteristic feature besides being hairless is that the toes are webbed. Since their hind legs are longer than their front legs, their ability to jump very high also distinguishes them from other cat breeds. Contrary to their unusual appearance, Donskoy cats, which are good-natured and cheerful cats, are also peaceful and friendly animals.
Donskoy Cat General Characteristics
- Their homeland is Donskoy, the small city of Russia on the banks of the Don River.
- They are medium sized cats. Their height ranges from 20 to 25 centimeters, while their weight averages 4 kilograms.
- Feathers are scarce and sparse.
- Their feathers and skin can be any color.
- The toes are webbed.
- They have a muscular and agile body structure.
- They are smart cats. They are prone to being trained.
- They are social cats. They get along well with other cat breeds and pets.
- They are playful, energetic and curious creatures.
- They are highly loyal to their owners. They always want to be with their owners.
- When their needs for attention, love and play are not adequately met, they can become depressed.
- It is not a cat breed suitable to be left alone.
- They are creatures prone to skin diseases.
- They have a tendency to gain weight.
- These cats, which do not have any known genetic diseases, live an average of 13 years.
Donskoy Cat Care
Although Donskoy cats come from a very cold country like Russia, they are not resistant to cold weather conditions because they are hairless. Although hair growth is observed in certain parts of their bodies in winter, these cats are never suitable for outdoor feeding. Donskoy cats, which are damaged by the sun’s rays in hot seasons, should not be exposed to direct sun as they should be protected from the cold. Since their hair is very sparse, they are prone to skin diseases, so skin care should be done constantly. These cats need a bath to prevent oil from accumulating on their skin. However, care should be taken not to let them get cold after bathing. They will not object to any activities that will come into physical contact with you, such as bathing and drying. Because Dosnkoys love physical intimacy with their owners.
Donskoy cats are very fond of their owners and want to be with their owners at all times. Because they love to play games, they always try to bring their toys to their owners and start a game. Being left alone is like a nightmare for them. Therefore, it is more convenient to buy Donskoy cats in pairs. You can also get a dog to put an end to Donskoy cats’ search for playmates and their fear of being alone, which also get along very well with cats of other breeds. Because they are very social and friendly animals, they will adapt to any pet.
Donskoy cats, who seek to communicate with you by long meows and various purring sounds, are prone to weight gain. Fortunately, their mobile structure eliminates this danger in their young and adulthood. However, attention should be paid to the nutrition of Donskoy cats, especially after the sterilization operation and in their old age, and these cats should be fed with low-calorie foods.