Ocicat cats, which resemble wild cats with their patterns, do not belong to a pure cat breed. Their ancestors are Abyssinian, Siamese and American Shortair cats. Ocicats, which were accepted as a cat breed in their own right in 1987, were discovered in the United States. These cats got the name “Ocicat” from Ocelot, a leopard breed. Indeed, the character structure of the Ocicat cat breed, which at first glance gives the impression of a miniature leopard, is far from that of wild cats. Extremely adaptable and loyal, these cats have nothing in common with leopards other than their spots. They form very close relationships with people and are sensitive creatures that like to receive attention and love. They need a playmate as they are sociable and do not like to be alone.
Ocicat Cat Breed General Characteristics
- They were discovered in the United States.
- It is not a natural cat breed.
- They have an athletic and muscular body structure.
- Males are larger than females. Their weight is on average 5 kilograms. However, some male Ocicats have been observed to weigh up to 15 kilograms.
- It has spotted feathers resembling a leopard. Their color is also similar to that of wild cats.
- They shed moderately. The amount of shedding increases with seasonal transitions.
- They are very intelligent and curious cats.
- Their hunting skills are highly developed.
- They are very attached to their owners. They love to spend time with people.
- They don’t like to be left alone.
- They are affectionate and social cats. They are also very close to people and pets they do not know.
- They communicate with people by meowing and humming frequently.
- They are very active, playful and cheerful.
- They are very adept at climbing and jumping.
- Females give birth to four cubs at each birth.
- Because they are breed cats, they are hardy and healthy cats. No hereditary diseases have been identified.
- They live up to 18 years.
Ocicat Cat Breed Care
Although Ocicats are adaptable and social animals that make them easy to care for, their intense desire for attention and love requires you to devote a lot of time to them. Since Ocicats do not like to be alone, they are suitable for those who spend most of their time at home, but they have a very active and playful character, making it almost mandatory to get a playmate for them. Dogs and cats of their own breed are ideal creatures to keep up with Ocicats because their gregariousness and intense playfulness can make other cat breeds uneasy.
Although Ocicats adopt their nests quickly, they can insist on going outside. You can take them out of the house by not breaking their insistence. Since they are docile and intelligent, they accompany you on your walks with a cat collar like a dog . If you have a house with a balcony, you should definitely use a cat glass protection net for these cats . Because Ocicat cats are very successful at hunting birds and insects flying outside, and therefore they are more likely to fall from the balcony. At the same time, it is undesirable for them to live together with creatures such as birds, turtles, fish and hamsters due to their hunting abilities.
We recommend buying toys that Ocicat cats can climb on so that they can release their energy. You need to feed these cats a high protein wet and dry cat food because they are so energetic. This will slightly increase the cost of feeding.