Known for their characteristic hair color, striking green eyes and resistance to cold and diseases, Russian Blue cats are extremely beautiful and noble animals. Russian BlueThese cats, which are called so called, are covered with two layers of hair because they are of Russian origin. Therefore, they can easily survive in cold climates. Blue Russian cats, who were taken to Europe by British sailors in the 19th century and conquered the hearts of Europeans, got their name from their dark blue fur. This cat breed, which is very popular thanks to its noble and different appearance, as well as its intelligence and devotion to people, is not very active although they are very playful. Another contradictory feature of Russian Blues is that they are stubborn and stubborn in training, despite being loyal and intelligent cats to their owners. Because these cats are animals that are fond of their independence. Russian Blues are magical cats with their blue-tinged gray fur and green eyes that contrast with their fur.
General Characteristics of the Russian Blue Cat
- Their homeland is Russia.
- His eyes are glassy green and very striking. Their eyes, which are yellow until they are 4-5 months old, turn green as they reach adulthood. Their round eyes are slanted in some Russian Blue cats.
- They have a solid jaw structure and prominent cheekbones.
- Its feathers are dark gray to blue, short and soft. It is also possible to come across black and white feathered ones.
- They have a double coat of feathers that are resistant to cold.
- They appear transparent because they have little hair in their ears.
- It is a medium sized cat breed.
- Their legs are muscular and long.
- Their tails are longer than the average of other cat breeds.
- Adults reach an average of 5 kilograms. Male Russian Blues are heavier than females.
- The bonds they form with people are strong. They are loyal animals to their owners, but they are a cautious cat breed that prefers to stay away from people they do not know.
- They get along well with other cats and animals as well as with people.
- They don’t meow much. Females are quieter than males.
- It is one of the most intelligent cat breeds.
- It is not a very active cat breed. But they love to play games.
- They are gentle, affectionate and patient animals.
- Their lifespan is about 15 years, but because they are hardy cats, well cared for Russian Blues can live up to 25 years. With this feature, it is among the healthiest and longest-lived cats in the world
Russian Blue Cat Care
Russian Blues are not difficult to care for. You will not experience the ordeal of going to the vet as soon as they happen to you with these cats. Because they are hardy animals and they do not get sick often, and they are not known to be prone to any disease. But they still need routine health check-ups like other cats, such as combing their fur and brushing their teeth. These cats, which you should also pay attention to ear and eye cleaning, can accompany you for many years with proper nutrition. Brushing the Russian Blue cat, one of the most expensive cats in the world, once a week will be sufficient because its hair is short. Short-haired cats are also more advantageous than long-haired cats in terms of cleaning the house.
It is more suitable for people with cat allergies to feed Russian Blue than other cats. Because Russian Blues secrete less protein that causes allergies to cats in humans. Because they are very patient and gentle cats, they get along well with other animals in their habitat and do not harm children. Expecting lots of attention from their owners, Russian Blues are among the longest-lived cats in the world.